By John Simpson 16 May 2011
The shortlist for the 25th annual Motor Transport Awards has been unveiled, bringing weeks of deliberation to a close.
Over 60 finalists are in contention across 17 separate categories, the winners of which will be announced during a swanky ceremony at London’s historic Grosvenor House on 6 July.
Indesit, TNT, and Grocontinental lead the nominations with three a piece, while Mercedes-Benz, 3663, and United Biscuits Logistics trail with two each.
Organisers teasingly opted to announce the shortlist for Fleet Van and Fleet Truck of the Year a month before revealing the remaining 15 category’s finalists [full story].
The honour of Fleet Driver of the Year will be battled between Paul Crowther of Grocontinental, Indesit Company’s Colin Lomas, Mark Steed of A.F. Blakemore Logistics, and Bill Stone of Wincanton.
Fleet Engineer of the Year will go to Suckling Transport’s Dan Bauckham, Darren O'Donnell of Coca-Cola Enterprises or Paul Pinfold from Indesit Company.
Meanwhile, Iron Mountain Europe, Ocado, or The Alternative Parcels Company could be named Fleet Van Operator of the Year.
The rest of the categories line up as such:
Best Use of Technology
Sponsored by Bridgestone
• ByBox Field Support • ETS • Palletforce
Customer Care Award
Sponsored by Isuzu Truck (UK)
• DPD • The Alternative Parcels Company • TNT Express Services UK & Ireland • Wincanton
Dealer of the Year
• Harwoods Truck Centre • Imperial Commercials – Derby • S & B Commercials • TruckEast
Sponsored by TNT Express Services
• 3663 • Abbey Logistics Group • Indesit Company Logistics • Yusen Logistics (UK)
Fleet Truck of the Year
Sponsored by Texaco Lubricants
• DAF Trucks CF85 • MAN TGS • Mercedes-Benz Axor
Haulier of the Year
Sponsored by MAN Truck & Bus UK
• Aspray24 • Bibby Distribution • Grocontinental
Sponsored by The Association of Pallet Networks
• Arclid Transport • DHL Supply Chain • Greenroad • Jigsaw M2M • The Cartwright Group
Livery of the Year
• Branston • Grocontinental • Spar UK • White Logistics & Storage
Low Carbon & Efficiency Award
Sponsored by Key Fuels
• 3663 • Howard Tenens • JD Wetherspoon • United Biscuits Logistics
Own-account Operator of the Year
• Asda Stores • Carlsberg UK • Hanson Cement • United Biscuits Logistics
Sponsored by The Bandvulc Group
• CEVA Logistics/Renault Nissan/BMW/MAN • Mexichem Fluor/Suttons Transport Group • TNT Business Solutions/Royal Bank of Scotland • Wincanton/Screwfix/Parcelforce Worldwide
Safety in Operation Award
Sponsored by Michelin
• Reynolds Logistics • Suttons Transport Group • Yusen Logistics (UK)
Sponsored by CRH Transport Training
• A.F. Blakemore Logistics • Abbey Logistics Group • TNT Express Services UK & Ireland • Yodel
A spokesperson for the MT Awards told FleetDirectory.co.uk that the winners have already been decided, but won’t be revealed until the ceremony on 6 July.
“The Motor Transport Awards provide a showcase for the excellent standards that are so widespread in our industry, presented by a high quality organisation,” said Geoff Dunning, Chief Executive of Road Haulage Association.
For more details on the event and how to attend, visit mtawards.co.uk.
Categories: Fleet news
When it comes down to it, the only thing keeping you on the road are your car’s tyres. They are such a vital component, yet research shows that two-thirds of drivers don’t even know the minimum legal tread depth permitted.…
Citroen has just marked the 45th anniversary of its quirky Mehari fun car with a bespoke display at its chic design centre in the middle of Paris. While the Mehari may be more beach dunes than Champs-Elysées, it points up…
If you ever need an example of how far the car and automotive technology has come in a single generation, just reach for the gear lever in your car. A mere 25 years ago, you would most likely have the choice of five gears…
There are a great many considerations to take into account when looking at your next company car. Some are purely financial and others will be environmental, either because of monetary reasons or because of your conscience.…
Hot hatches have been through a few ups and downs in the time the class has properly existed. From must-have 1980s accessory to untouchable, uninsurable liability in the early 1990s, the sector has been on the rise again…